Efforts to curb the Democratic Republic of Congo’s worst Ebola outbreak are stumbling, medical charity MSF warned Thursday, blaming the role of the security forces in the response and their “toxic” relations with local communities.
Seven months into the outbreak, “the Ebola response is failing to bring the epidemic under control,” Doctors Without Borders said in a statement.
It highlighted that more than 40 percent of deaths are occurring in communities rather than in Ebola treatment centres.
“That means that we have not reached them and they have not sought our care,” MSF chief Joanne Liu told reporters in Geneva.
The outbreak emerged in North Kivu last August and then spread to neighbouring Ituri province.
It has claimed 561 lives out of 894 recorded cases, according the latest DRC health ministry figures.
Security in eastern DRC, a region rampant with rebel fighters, has complicated the response.
Liu warned that growing reliance on the security services to bring people to treatment centres was spurring hostility.
“The existing atmosphere can only be described as toxic,” she said, adding that this “shows how the response has failed to listen and act on the needs of those most affected.”
Her comments came after MSF suspended its activities at two treatment centres in North Kivu after the sites were attacked.
“Ebola responders are increasingly seen as the enemy,” Liu said.
In the past month alone, she said, there had been more than 30 attacks and incidents involving elements of the Ebola response.